Wednesday 14 November 2012

5 things you may not know about me...

I am sure by now, those that follow me and my work will have noticed that I don't tend to share an awful lot of information about myself or my personal life.  I tend to only update on my work related news and the odd tiny tidbit of info about some of the more normal things happening in my day.  I am quite a private person and the whole 'tell everyone on facebook what colour underwear you are wearing' thing really niggles me.  Some things in our lives should be private and stay that way :P However, I thought I would share 5 things about me that you might not know as a way to show you the real human behind the virtual persona.  So here goes...

1) I am, in fact, a woman! It really made me chuckle when I heard that quite a few people in the art industry were unsure of what sex I was as there are no photos of my human self on my sites (like I said I am a private person and don't cope well with photos of me).  But after a comment about me being 'shrouded in mystery' my day was well and truly made.  However, for those who have been curious, I am female.

2) I have a variety of different qualifications and work experiences under my belt.  After school I did A-levels in Psychology as well as Human Development and Alternative Therapies.  Which somehow ended in me going onto study Hairdressing.  I qualified and even managed a salon for a while, before becoming an office manager.  This stemmed somehow, back into my love of Science and the Sea and I ended up on a Marine Conservation Degree, during which time I worked as over seer of a Jellyfish Breeding Program at our local Aquarium.  I looked after many other animals too, including a Nurse Shark and Black tipped Reef Shark which I had to catch and hold down whilst they were injected).  All in all it was one of the best experiences of my life.  This somehow led to me creating (doodling then finally turning into plush) my first line of creatures, which encouraged me to pursue a different degree in Illustration which I have just graduated from this year.  As you can see I chop and change a lot, but I have taken so much from each and every experience and wouldn't change it all for the world.

3) I am a sensitive soul.  As a child I was known for being very serious.  I was always quite sullen and often referred to as Wednesday (as in Addams).  But to make it even funnier, we did actually used to picnic in graveyards as my Mum found them very relaxing and much more peaceful than parks.  It sounds so odd when I tell people that, but it was so very normal to us.  However, as a sensitive brooding soul, I am prone to anxiety, stress and depression.  Which would be a terrible thing, if it didn't mean that I genuinely understand people who are going through similar, and generally support pretty much any waif and stray that come my way.  I am often referred to as a 'people collector' as I am always helping somebody through a tough time.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  If more people offered to help and support others, I don't think we would have so many lost children in the world.

4) On a lighter note I am obsessed with water.  I have always had a strange affinity to the sea, ever since I was a child ( I nearly said small, but I am still rather small :P).  I am only ever truly relaxed when I am in or near water.  I find it so calming, which is a relief for me as I rarely sleep and am generally pretty wired these days.

5) And lastly, I am Hyper Sensitive. It means that I can see a very long way away, smell things others miss and hear a spider fart! (that last bit is an exaggeration, but you get the gist). I can smell tastes and taste smells and sense quite a lot. It can be an advantage, but it does mean I stay in a state of fight or flight for most of my day and can come across as 'on edge' lol. I don't have my wisdom teeth either, so apparently am a mutant and the next form of human evolution (not sure that's a fact but I get told it a LOT) ha ha.

Well that was quite strange for me, to share so much with you of my personal self.  But now you know a little more and hopefully you'll still enjoy my work, even knowing what a kook I am ;)

If there's anything particular you are burning to know then feel free to ask me in the comments section of this post.  I'll do my best to answer.  Thanks for being such a wonderful group of people and supporting my work this far *waves bye for now*



No comments:

Post a Comment